Tuesday 14 July 2015

Readings & Psalms for Church of England Wedding Ceremonies


Below you will find the first collection of Readings and Psalms suitable to be included in Church of England, Church of Ireland and although most American protestant denominations will have their own standard ceremony, there may be some room for personalization, as with the majority of major denominations nowadays.


To view the Collections of Unique & Beautiful Wedding Poems & Reflections, click here & here



A Reading from First Letter of St Paul to the Corinthians 13:1-7
I may speak in tongues of men or of angels, but if I am without love, I am a sounding gong or a clanging cymbal. I may have the gift of prophecy, and know every hidden truth; I may have faith strong enough to move mountains; but if I have no love, I am nothing. I may dole out all I possess, or even give my body to be burnt, but if I have no love, I am none the better. Love is patient; love is kind and envies no one. Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude; never selfish, not quick to take offence. Love keeps no score of wrongs; does not gloat over men’s sins, but delights in the truth. There is nothing love cannot face; there is no limit to its faith, it’s hope and it’s endurance.

From the Book of Ruth
Where you go, I shall go. Wherever you live, so shall I live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. Whenever you die, I shall die, and there I will be buried. There we shall be together forever and our love will be the gift of life.


Song of Solomon 2 v 10-13
 My beloved speaks and says to me: ‘Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away; for now the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtle-dove is heard in our land. The fig tree puts forth its figs, and the vines are in blossom; they give forth fragrance. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.
  (NRSV)


Ecclesiastes 3 – A Time for Everything
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to refrain, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up the other; but woe to one who is alone and falls and does not have another to help. Again, if two lie together, they keep warm; but how can one keep warm alone? And though one might keep prevail against another, two will withstand one. A threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Psalm 121
I life up my eyes to the hills; from where is my help to come? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not suffer your foot to stumble; He who watches over you will not sleep. Behold, He who keeps watch over  Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.  The Lord Himself watches over you; the Lord is your shade at your right hand, so that the sun shall not strike you by day neither the moon by night.  The Lord shall keep you from all evil; it is He who shall keep your soul. The Lord shall keep watch over your going out and your coming in, from this time on for evermore. Amen.

 For Gospel readings appropriate for Church of Ireland/Church of England/Protestant weddings, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment